Barn hacks for cribbers
How to help prevent a cribber from destroying the barn.
- You have some options here for preventing cribbing in the barn. Many owners choose to use a hay net or other slow feeder, as it takes much longer to eat a flake than if it’s on the ground.
- Other owners choose a buddy, like a goat or chicken, for their horse, and some choose turnout and a lot of it. Although many cribbers will work on their habit despite the presence of food or pasture or buddies.
Protect the fencing
- At some point, there may also be a need to protect the surfaces of the barn and paddocks/fencing from the horse that cribs.
- Many folks use some form or spray or paste that is foul-tasting. These are sticky and usually contain capsaicin, which will test positive at shows.
- If you want to deal with the sticky, and be warned that some of the sprays will stain surfaces.
- Other folks swear by using plain old pure bar soap rubbed on all surfaces.
Soap tastes bad, it doesn’t test at shows, and it doesn’t stain your horse or the surface you rub it on.
You can get sprays and goops for cribbing deterrence.
This paste is a super creamy and horrible tasting deterrent.
An alternative to covering surfaces is to use a metal covering or PVC pipe that’s cut lengthwise to cover all of the cribbing surfaces.
- It’s a bit of labor to cover surfaces with the rounded pipe, but most horses are unable to get a grip on that rounded edge. Make sure the pipe diameter is big enough.
- In pasture situations, hot wire or electric fencing is a great option and very inexpensive to use.
ZAP! I love electric fencing. Keeps your fence and your horses safe!
But the buckets!
- One last tip – once you have your edges under control, many horses will use the water bucket or watering system to crib.
- Cover the bucket with a toilet seat and strap on. (Bailing twine use #4087). Some feed tubs can be fitted with a wide lip that prevents your horse from grabbing on. You can also purchase a bucket topper.
Like a frisbee, but not.
Many horses can’t get a grip on the wide flat surface of a toilet seat or a bucket edge ring thing, and therefore can’t crib. But they can still get to their bucket or waterer.
Use these handy shopping links for your anti-cribbing needs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There is no extra charge to you, and I’m eternally grateful.
Hydrophane Cribox 8 oz. tub – 8Oz
FORTEX INDUSTRIES 280445 Feed Saver Ring