Get your horse supplies at the grocery store
- Grocery shopping is my least favorite task. I avoid the grocery store at all costs. UNLESS I AM GOING FOR HORSE STUFF. There’s a ton of stuff you can use at the barn, and you might even get some healthy human food while you are there! Here’s my handy list to save you time when shopping for your horse!
Horse show supplies:
- Magazines – in between barn chores and classes, also maybe for your horse hubby so he doesn’t get too bored…
- Makeup – but not so much as to make the judge wonder if you are a clown.
- Hair accessories – for tucking under helmets AND for holding back horse mane as you braid.
- Small containers to organize and store stuff in your tack trunk
- Apples, carrots, sugar cubes for the horses
- Snacks for you!
Miscellaneous Barn Stuff and Cleaning Supplies
- Shoe/boot polish – for a mirror-like reflection
- Laundry treatment sticks – help keep your white show stuff gleaming.
- Castile soap – great for leathers and hands.
- Double-sided sponges – one zillion uses.
- Scrubbers for cleaning buckets and anything else that you don’t want to touch with your bare hands. Speaking of which…you can also find…
- Disposable gloves…
Your riding boots can never be too shiny.
Castile soap is a must for the barn!
First aid kit
- Diapers – size 5 is good for most horses, unless your horse has dinner plate tootsies, then go bigger.
- Thermometers – for TPR
- Topical creams/ointments – you can’t have too many goops on hand.
- Gauze – for human and horse boo-boo’s.
- Non-Stick pads – the only type of pad to put on a wound.
- Molasses/apple sauce for mixing meds – in case your horse has a discerning palette.
Saddle cleaner ingredients
These ingredients are great to pick up if you want to make your own saddle cleaner.
- Milk – also good for you, your cereal, and homemade tack soap.
- Glycerine soap – can be used alone, or create your own saddle cleaner with it as a base.
- Containers for your homemade soaps – you can’t have too many containers.
- Olive oil – For homemade tack soap, many folks use it for hooves, too.
If you also love the hardware store and dollar store – more shopping ideas here:
What else do you get at the store for your horse?
If you are like me and despise grocery shopping, you can also pick up some supplies with these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, which are zero extra charge to you. I can’t thank you enough for your support!
ADC Veterinary Thermometer, Dual Scale, Adtemp 422 – For easy temperature taking