Make a hoof care kit for hoof emergencies
- You might want to supplement your horse’s Vet Kit with a hoof care kit – being prepared for supportive measures until your vet and farrier can arrive. Mainly because the hoof is so critical for your horse’s health, and has a way of seeming just fine until it’s not.
- Please call your veterinarian at the first sign of hoof trouble. Many hoof issues look like each other, and early intervention might save your horse a lot of pain and save you a lot of money.
Things to have for emergency hoof problems
- A working sharpie pen in a color that will show up on your horse’s hoof sole and wall. In the rare instance that he steps on a nail or screw, your vet will need to tell you to leave it or pull it. If you pull any screws or nails per your vet’s instructions, you need to mark the spot on his sole where it went in, and also mark the spike to the depth it went in.
- You can also use the sharpie to mark cracks on the hoof wall to determine if they are getting bigger or growing out.
Not just permanent – SUPER permanent.
Boots for icing the hooves
- Now, these aren’t just for laminitis. A horse with a fever, diarrhea, or tender feet after a farrier visit or schooling on the hard ground needs some ice therapy.
- Also, the horse that ran around like a fool on rock hard ground, or the horse with metabolic issues, or the horse that busted into the hay or feed room. Or some way to get and keep ice on the hooves without your horse spending hours in tubs. Boots are easier for everyone.
- Incidentally, any ice holding device will usually double as a way to soak your horse’s hoof. A simple feed tub is clumsy, spills, and large to store, so grab a specially designed soaking boot to have. Many shapes and sizes and budget points are out there. I prefer a model that has a sturdy bottom, and a way to snug up the top.
Horseshoe pulling tools
- Have your farrier show you how to pull a shoe, and invest in a few tools for a few bucks so you can save your horse in a pinch. This article can give you the steps to go through to pull the shoe yourself!
- Depending on where you live, your horse, and his affinity for various hoof issues, you may choose to have some Epsom salt packing or ichthammol dressing on hand.
- Diapers and disposable gloves (from the Vet Kit) are handy, too. I can vouch that ichthammol is not an easy smell to erase from your skin. More on hoof goops here!
Reminds me of roofing tar or asphalt.
A hoof wrap and pad.
- Lost shoes, abscesses, and other hoof ailments that need to stay dry can benefit from a hoof wrap. These replace the need for a diaper, tape, vet wrap, and the like. The pad supports the naked sole, and will even out his legs so he’s not moving unevenly. Most hoof wraps can also wrap around a diaper if needed to hold in some goopy stuff if you need it.
It’s easier than a bucket.
Your, your vet, and your farrier are the hoof care team. Your vet can help with diagnosis, x-rays, and pain medications and your farrier is there to support the hoof as it heals with shoes, a different balance, wedges, and more. Get everyone together.
These fantastic links can hook you up with everything you need to make a hoof care kit for your horse. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, which are not a penny more for you. I couldn’t be more grateful for your support!
For daily temperature taking.
To monitor gut sounds and heart rate.
These ice packs make for easy cooling of your horse’s legs and hooves. They last for hours.
This tall boot can be filled with ice or ice packs to help the horse with laminitis.
These squishy boots are great to give your horse some major comfort during laminitis.
These boots are great for lost shoes, they have a durable sole and thick leather design.
This hoof wrap is affordable and convenient for tossed shoes.
These affordable boots can be filled with ice to help your horse.
For easy hoof soaking.
Nippers for shoe removal!
Crease nail puller. This makes taking off a shoe easy, and reduces the change the nail will do more damage.
Ichthammol salve for wounds and hoof issues.
Bright green salt poultice for hooves.