Tips for cleaning bits!
I find the easiest thing to help you in the bit cleaning department is to dunk the bit in a bucket of clean water after you take off the bridle.
- Then hang it to drip. You can clean it now, or wait until later. Giving the bit a good dunk and shake will get most of the “goo” while it waits around for a real cleaning.
- When I’m ready to clean, I dunk again and then use a rag or washcloth to wipe the bit. I pay extra attention to the joints and where the ring meets the bit.
This is where the rubber meets the road! Lots of goop here, be sure to clean inside the leather loop.
Much of the bridle goop that accumulates on your bit rings comes from the loops in the bridle that hold your bit rings.
- Clean buckles and attachments with a toothbrush or a pair of loofah gloves. Having an old toothbrush helps reach into the nooks and crannies of the bit itself, too. Please do not use a co-worker’s toothbrush unless they really, really deserve it.
Keeping your bridle goop-free helps a lot.
- A wash in the dishwasher also works for cleaning your horse’s bit, but if you dunk and clean every day, you will never need to do this. You can also toss your stirrups and spurs in the dishwasher if you like.
- For show day, clean the bit rings, and only the rings, with metal polish. Metal polishing cloths are great, you can also use these cloths to polish spurs, buckles, and stirrups.
You don’t have to use a toothbrush every day. On your horse’s bit that is.
I swear by lederbalsams, and I also like a few oils. Shop here! As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, which are not a penny more for you. I couldn’t be more grateful for your support!
Fiebing’s Liquid Glycerine Saddle Soap for Horse 16 fl oz
Cape Cod Polish Co. Metal Polishing Cloths Tin
Fiebing’s 100% Pure Neatsfoot Oil, 32 oz. – Natural Leather Preservative
Hydrophane Leather Darken Oil, 500 ml ( 17 fl.Oz ) – This one WILL darken your tack.
Pack of 12 Tack Sponges – these are the smaller types
Honeycomb Form Tack Sponge – this is the larger variety