Reuse feed bags and supplement buckets
Most of us don’t want to decorate our homes and barns and tack rooms with supplement buckets and old feed bags. But, we all know that supplement tubs and feed bags have many uses around the house and farm. I’m not saying you decorate your dining room, but here’s the start of some great ideas to up-cycle your buckets and bags:
Feed bags can be used many times over! Paper linings are super for poultice paper.
How to reuse supplement tubs and buckets
These tubs and buckets are great, they come in a zillion sizes and most are cylindrical, although some are square. They range in size from really giant ones to tiny ones that are about the size of a yogurt cup. So – you could reuse your horse’s supplement tubs and buckets for the following:
- Move compost around. You can easily carry compost from the bin to a small veggie patch if you need to.
- Storage for your shampoos and wash rack stuff. It’s even better if you drill holes in the bottom for drainage.
- Transport grain baggies to shows and outings.
- Store gardening supplies.
- Soaking beet pulp in bulk.
- Making jumps and dressage letters.
- Store crops and whips.
- Extension cord containment for when you are not using them.
- A little stool when you really need to sit!
- Flower pots. I have painted a few supplement tubs after removing the labels for a more “fancy” look.
- Rainwater collection, in small amounts.
This supplement tub holds my zeolites for easy stall cleaning. I also use the tubs to bring compost home for the garden!
How to reuse your feed bags
There are generally two types of feed bags out there! One is the mostly paper kind, that’s a few layers thick. The other is the single layer, almost plasticky type of bag. There are plenty of uses for both types of bags around the house and the barn!
This show setup has feed bags with the horse’s names, inside could be supplements, quilts, polo wraps, you name it.
- Trash can liners
- Mobile trash cans for the trailer and horse shows
- Poultice paper
- Handbag! I know of a few crafty and entrepreneurial folks out there.
- Compost mover
- The feed bags shown above now hold wraps at shows.
What ideas do you have for feed bags?