How to take care of sheepskin and fleece horse stuff
It’s fairly easy to take care of sheepskin and fleece tack and accessories. The biggest obstacle is making sure the backing or skin doesn’t get dry and cracked, so regular detergents can be a bad idea.
- A lot of us have sheepskin at the barn – saddle pads, girth covers, the padding on bridles. Sheepskin is a natural product and therefore has some special considerations. It should be allowed to air dry if it is damp or wet from sweat. Brushing frequently with a grooming brush (I like the dog slicker variety) will keep it fluffy.
Pretend it’s your pup and use a dog slicker brush to fluff up the sheepskin.
- Washing in the washing machine is OK with most brands of sheepskin horse items, although should not be done with regular laundry detergents as this can damage the leather and/or wool.
- Check with the specific manufacturer of your sheepskin accessory for their suggestion on using a cleaning agent.
- Most sheepskin accessory manufacturers also create and sell their own special cleaner for the laundry.
So many uses – this cleaner works on leather and fabrics, too.
This Mattes brand is for sheepskin numnahs and other sheepskin products.
- Air drying, out of the sunlight or direct heat, is a good way to dry the sheepskin, whether it’s wet from sweat or wet from the washer.
- Store them fluffy side up, and with regular brushing, you are good to go. Saddle fit problems may show up as unevenly packed sheepskin. Your saddle fitter can help you check for proper saddle fit.
- If you find that your sheepskin has become crunchy, you can soften it by massaging or kneading it in your hands.
- I like to stack my sheepskin between the saddle and saddle pad. However, it’s perfectly fine to have the sheepskin numnah right against your horse’s back with a saddle pad on top. Your preference.
Click these links to shop for horse supplies. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, which are not a penny more for you. I couldn’t be more grateful for your support! You can also visit my Amazon storefront here: PEG storefront.