When to sharpen clipper blades for the smoothest body clip
This seemingly easy question to answer is a bit more complicated. You may not be able to sharpen clipper blades at all, or once, or more. It depends on the teeth.
How do you know when to sharpen your blades?
- Typically, you will need to sharpen your clipper blades when they start to tug or pull at your horse.
- You may also see lines, uneven hair, gouges, and major clogging of the teeth.
Things to try before you sharpen those blades
- Tugging and poor cutting ability are signs that your clipper blades are due for a sharpening. BUT – this also means your horse could be dirty, or your blades need more clipper oil.
- In some cases, poor clipping means your clipper body needs to be serviced by the manufacturer. It can also be a sign that you did not properly prep your horse for clipping, and the blades are catching on dirt and dust. Or, it’s a combination of both.
- Usually, adding more clipper oil solved everything. Usually.
- There’s also the possibility that your blades were brand spanking new and used for 5 seconds or longer and you put them away without cleaning and oiling. Bad! Or they were damp when you put them away and then rust happened…
How often can your blades be touched up?
- You should also know that clipper blades can only be shortened so many times before they run out of blade to sharpen. The higher quality of workmanship when sharpening is one factor.
- Another factor is the amount of steel in the blade. Blades like the 40, 30, and 15 cut very close, so there is not as much steel to sharpen. You might only be able to sharpen these blades twice. For blades like the 10 and 10W, you can likely get two or three sharpenings.
- Some clipper blades, like the 5-in-1 style for trimmers, can’t be sharpened well, if at all. These very convenient blades can remain in service with diligent care from you.
- If you have a blade that has gone beyond its useful life, don’t toss it! It makes a handy tool for mane shortening without pulling.
Click these links to shop for horse supplies. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, which are not a penny more for you. I couldn’t be more grateful for your support!
Wahl Professional Animal Bravura Lithium Clipper – this includes the 5 in 1 blade that goes from a #9 to a #40. Perfect for designs!
Professional Animal Stainless Steel Attachment Guide Combs for Wahl’s Bravura, Arco, Chromado, Figura, and Motion Pet Clippers (3379) – these combs match the 5 in 1 blades.
Professional Animal Stainless Steel Attachment Guide Combs for Detachable Blade Clippers (3390-100) – for detachable blades.